Company Secretary in Ireland
We offer a comprehensive range of Company Secretarial and compliance services.
All Irish companies, including single member companies, are required by Irish law to have a company secretary, who may be one of the directors. The company secretary acts in accordance with the directors’ instructions. A company secretary’s main functions are to oversee the company’s day to day administration and to ensure specifically that the company complies with the law and observes its own regulations.
Appointment of the Company Secretary
A company secretary can be either an individual or corporate body and may or may not be resident in the State. The first secretary of your company must be named in the documents filed with the Companies Registration Office on incorporation. The subsequent appointment of a company secretary is in accordance with the articles of association of the company and must be notified to the Registrar of Companies within 14 days of the appointment.
Signing the annual return is a task which is required to be performed by the secretary and a director of the company. A company secretary, as an officer of the company, is under an indirect duty to comply with the company’s obligations under the Companies Act 2014.
Duty of Disclosure
The company secretary is obliged to record information for inclusion in the Register of Directors and Secretary:
- Name and address
- Registered office address – if the secretary is a company
- Date of birth – if the secretary is an individual
- Interests held in shares and debentures of the company
- Details of any shares or debentures purchased or sold in the company, its holding company, any subsidiary or any subsidiary of its holding company
- Keeping the minutes of general meetings and meetings of the board of directors
- Keeping, and making available for inspection, the company’s registers on behalf of the directors, including the: Register of member, Register of directors’ and secretary’s interests
- Ensuring that documents are filed with the Registrar of Companies within the prescribed time limits such as the company’s annual and other returns
- Communicating with the company’s members and notifying the members of meetings of the company, details of proposed resolutions to be considered at meetings, circulating them with copies of the annual financial statements
- Delivering copies of special resolutions and certain other resolutions passed by the company
- Notifying the registrar of any alterations in the Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Publishing statutory notices
- Giving notice to members of meetings and communicating with members generally
- Administering share transfers
- Ensuring that the board’s decisions are properly communicated
- Furnishing the Registrar with particulars of charges entered into by the company
- Custody of the company seal
- Ensuring the company has its name in legible lettering, outside each place at which it conducts business
- Ensuring that the company’s letterhead bears the appropriate details
Administrative functions such as keeping charge of the register of members, register of directors and secretaries, register of debentures and register of directors shareholdings.
Change of Company Secretary
Should there be a change of Secretary of a company or a change of residential address for a Secretary it is required that the Registrar of Companies be notified within 28 days of the change.
Company Secretarial Service
We provide a company secretarial service to ensure that important statutory requirements are fulfilled. Should you wish to request our company secretarial service, simply select the service on our order form when ordering your company.
We ensure that all your company’s statutory requirements are met, including the filing of the annual returns, filing accounts and maintain the company statutory register.
As your company secretary, we will prepare documents in respect of changes to your company structure as and when they occur, this includes Allotment of shares, Transfer of shares and Appointments and resignations of officers.
As your company secretary our duties will include:
- Maintaining the register of directors and secretary
- Issuing share certificates and recording transfers of shares
- Maintaining the register of members and debenture holders
- Arranging for charges to be registered and recorded in the register of charges
- Filing of documents at the Companies Registration Office including changes of registered office, changes of directors and the secretary and their particulars
As your company secretary we can also offer the preparation and submission of the annual return, where necessary, showing the details of the directors, secretary, shareholders share capital and any share transfers that occurred during the previous year.
Company Secretaries’ Responsibilities
A company secretary’s main functions are to oversee the company’s day to day administration and ensure the company complies with the law and observes its own regulations.
- Statutory Duties under the Companies Act
- Duty to exercise due care and diligence
- Duty of disclosure of certain personal information
- Administrative duties
Irish companies require an individual (although corporate secretaries are allowed) over the age of 18 to act as the company secretary. The company secretary may be one of the directors, however in the case of a single director company, that director cannot be the secretary as all companies must have a minimum of 2 officers. The company secretary maintains company records, files the annual returns and carries out tasks from the articles of association or constitution.
Every company registered under the provisions of the Companies Act 2014, is required to have a company secretary.
The company secretary and the directors are considered to be the officers of the company.
Company Secretarial Service
Every company must have a minimum of two officers, and the secretary may be one of the directors of the company. However in the case of a single director company that director cannot be the company secretary. We have a Company Secretarial Service which, you can request when ordering your company from us.
We ensure that important statutory requirements are fulfilled, leaving the day to day running of your company to the directors. Should you require our company secretarial service, simply select the service on our order form when ordering your company.
Company Secretary Functions
The functions of a secretary are essentially administrative:
- To provides comprehensive legal and administrative support and guidance to the board of directors
- Ensure the board’s decisions and instructions are properly carried out and communicated
- Ensure that the company complies with all relevant statutory and regulatory requirements
- Responsibility for communication with the shareholders
- Principal administration officer liaising with staff, customers, suppliers, media and the board of directors
- Executes important documentation on behalf of the company with a director
Company Secretary Duties
Maintaining the statutory registers and minute books.
The secretary keeps up to date the statutory registers, which are the:
- Register of Shareholders
- Register of directors and secretaries
- Register of directors’ and secretaries’ interests in shares and debentures
- Register of debenture holders together with copies of the instruments which create charges