Step by Step Guide to Starting a Business in Ireland
Setting up a Company in Ireland
Your company will be incorporated by the Registrar of Companies after receiving a form A1 containing a declaration as follows:
- General nature of the activity and the appropriate NACE code classification
- Address in the State where the activity will be carried out
- The central administration address of the company is also required
A company which has two or more activities provides the principle activity for the declaration.
Timescale to Incorporate
Your Irish company will be incorporated within 3 – 4 days.
Select your Company Name
- Choosing your Company Name – Company names in Ireland must be distinctive and pre-approved for availability and acceptability
- Submit the name of your company to us – we will seek approval of the name from the Companies Registration Office
- The Companies Registration Office has an advanced electronic name reservation system and we can reserve your company name for up to 28 days
- You are not allowed to use a name which is identical or deceptively similar to a name that already appears on the company register
Company Name Check
We will check on the availability of your proposed name at the Companies Registration Office and advise you of any potential conflicts with existing companies already on the register.
Select the number of shares each shareholder will have.
- The issued share capital requirement is from €100 unless otherwise instructed
- Share Capital of the company is expressed in € – Euro’s
- The authorised Share Capital is the total number of shares that can be issued by your company. We will incorporate your new company with an authorised capital of €100,000. This avoids the need for a special resolution and amended constitution should you wish to increase the issued share capital at a later stage .
Shareholders of the Company
- Your company only requires one shareholder, the maximum allowed is 149
- No restrictions on nationality or residency of shareholders
- Corporate bodies are permitted to be shareholders
Decide who will be the Company Directors.
- Directors of a company are the officers who manage the day to day affairs of the Company
- Single director companies are allowed
- At least one of the directors must be resident in the European Union
- Where there is no EU resident director the alternative of a Non Resident Director Bond can be provided
- A Company Secretary is required. A single director cannot act as company secretary
We provide a Company Secretarial Service to ensure that important statutory requirements are fulfilled.
- Every company incorporated in Ireland should have a Company Secretary who will perform a variety of tasks crucial to the smooth running of your company
- A Company Secretary has the legal duty of filing all required documents and accounts
The companies principal activity must be outlined in the documents for filing at the Companies Registration Office and given a corresponding NACE code.
Irish Company Constitution
An Irish Limited company has the capacity to carry on and undertake any business or activity and has a single-document constitution without any need for an objects clause.
The company constitution may be altered by special resolution of the company shareholders and then filed at the CRO, together with the relevant special resolution adopting the amended provision.
Irish Registered Office Address
Every Irish company must have a Registered Office in Ireland where registry notices, letters and reminders can be served on the company. We provide a Registered Office address service, this is the official address of your company.
Procedure to Incorporate
- We will complete a Company Name Check for the availability of your proposed company name.
- You can complete our online order form and make a secure payment online
- We will prepare your Constitution and the document for the appointment of directors, company secretary and shareholders and outline details of the registered office address, authorised and issued share capital and assign a NACE Code to represent your principal activity
- We email you the completed pre-registration and legal documents that will require your signatures
- These documents require signing by the directors, company secretary and shareholders
- We submit the documents with original signatures to the Companies Registration Office
- You will receive your electronic certificate of incorporation and documents to start trading
Features of a Irish Limited Company
- No obligation requiring Irish participation in the management of your company
- Exemption for 3 years from Corporation Tax if your taxable profits are less than €320,000
- Directors can be of any nationality but one must be EU resident
- 100% foreign shareholders allowed
- Equal treatment for domestic and foreign shareholders
- Low Corporation Tax of 12.5%
Irish Company Registers
All Irish companies must maintain a prescribed set of statutory registers; including the registers of shareholders, allotments and transfers of shares, register of directors, register of secretaries and register of charges.