Transfer of Shares in a Private Company

Entries must be made in the Company’s Minute Book  and Register of Members.

The old share certificates must be cancelled and new certificates issued under the company seal of the company.

The Company’s Articles of Association or the Constitution must be inspected to see if there are any restrictions on the transfer of shares.

The stock transfer form must then be sent for stamping by the Revenue Commissioners if the transfer value is in excess of €1,000 or the parties to the transfer are related by blood or marriage.

The share transfer is subsequently recorded in the companies next annual return.

Procedures Required to Transfer Shares

  • Completion of share transfer forms
  • Completion of Revenue Commissioners form SD4
  • Changes to be recorded in the Register of Members
  • Cancellation of old share certificates
  • Issue of new Certificates under the Company Seal and signed by a director and company secretary
  • Check the articles of association or the constitution to ensure there are no restrictions on the transfer or issue of shares
  • Should any restrictions be in place a special resolution will need to be passed and the constitution amended and filed at the Companies Registration Office
  • Presentation of the share transfer(s) to the Revenue Commissioners for stamping
  • Stamp Duty is 1% of the consideration paid for the shares or the market value, whichever is higher

Revenue Commissioners

Form SD4 enable the Revenue Commissioners to assess the market value of the shares being transferred and establish the correct stamp duty to be paid.

Occasionally the Revenue Commissioners will request additional information, particularly when the change is between those related by blood or marriage, i.e. previous years accounts.

If the amount or value of the consideration of the share transfer is €1,000 or less and that parties subject to the transfer are not related by blood or marriage then the transfer is exempt from stamp duty.

Complete a Share Transfer

We can attend to the secretarial requirements of share transfers, complete a share transfer or issue shares on your behalf. We will require the following:

  • Full name and address of the transferors and transferees
  • How many and what type of shares are being transferred
  • Share Certificates for cancellation

The market value of shares in a private company is an area that is open to wide interpretation and for this reason, the Revenue Commissioners strongly encourage the completion of a form SD4, when sending in stock transfer forms.

Notify Registrar of Companies of Share Transfer

A company is not required to notify the CRO of share transfers at the time of the transfer as the transfer will be reflected in the next Annual Return filed by the company.