Step by Step Guide to Starting a Business in Ireland
Select the Company Name for your Ltd (Private Limited Company)
First, select a name for your company.
- Company names in Ireland must be distinctive and pre-approved for availability and acceptability
- We will carry out your company name check free of charge to see if your required name is available for incorporation
- The Companies Registration Office has an advanced electronic name reservation system. We can reserve your company name for up to 28 days upon payment of a non refundable fee
- Having submitted the name of your limited company to us, we will seek approval of the name from the Companies Registration Office
- The name must be unique and distinctive, you are not allowed to use a name which is identical or deceptively similar to a name that already appears on the register
We will check on the availability of your proposed name at the CRO and advise you of any potential conflicts with existing companies already on the register.
Select the number of shares each shareholder will have.
- The Share Capital requirement is only €100
- Company incorporations are completed with the issue of 100 shares of €1 each, unless, we are otherwise instructed
- Share capital of the company is expressed in € - Euro's
- The nominal share capital is the total number of shares that can be issued by your company, we will incorporate your new company with capital of €100,000 to avoid having to increase the authorised share capital at a later stage, this freely allows you to issue additional shares without the need for a special resolution to increase your authorised/nominal share capital
Decide who will be the directors of the company.
- Directors of a company are the officers who manage the day to day affairs of the Company
- Irish companies only require one officer, single director companies are allowed.
- At least one of the directors must be resident in the European Union
- Where there is no director of the company whom will be resident in the EU the alternative of a Non Resident Director Bond can be put in place
You must decide who will be your company secretary
- Every company incorporated in Ireland should have a company secretary who will perform a variety of tasks crucial to the smooth running of your company
- A company secretary has the legal duty of filing all required documents and accounts
- A company secretary can be a natural person or corporate body
We can provide a Company Secretarial Service to ensure that important statutory requirements are fulfilled.
- Shareholders are the persons who hold the shares in the company
- Your company only requires one shareholder, although there can be several, the maximum allowable is 149
- 100% overseas shareholders allowed
- Corporate bodies are permitted to be shareholders
The companies purpose must be outlined in the documents for filing at the Companies Registration Office and given a corresponding NACE code.
A registered office is required for your company, this is the official address of your business where all official documents are served.
- This does not have to be your trading address but it must be a physical address located in Ireland
We can provide a Registered Office for your company if you require,
Procedure to Incorporate
We will complete your free name check and check the availability of your proposed company name.
You can complete our online order form and make a secure payment online
- We will prepare your constitution and the document for the appointment of directors, secretary and shareholders and outline details of the registered office address, authorised and issued share capital and assign a NACE Code to represent your principal activity
- We email you the completed pre-registration and legal documents that will require your signatures
- These documents require checking and then signing by the directors, secretary and shareholders
- As members of the Companies Registration Office electronic filing scheme, we electronically submit your proposed company's documentation, then submit the documents with original signatures at the CRO. Submission of your A1 to the Companies Registration Office electronically under the fe phrainn Registered agency method
- We will then forward to you your new limited company formation package and all of the documents you require to start trading
Timescale to Incorporate
Your new company will be incorporated within 3-4 days.
Features of a Irish Limited Company
- No obligation requiring Irish participation in the management of your company
- Exemption for 3 years from Corporation Tax if your taxable profits are less than €320,000
- Directors can be of any EU nationality
- 100% foreign shareholders allowed
- Equal treatment for domestic and foreign shareholders
- Low Corporation Tax of 12.5%
- Share Capital requirement is only €100