Ireland Tax Agent

In Ireland you must register for tax with Revenue when you start a new company or partnership.

As your Irish Tax Agent we will correspond with the Irish Revenue (ROS) on your behalf with regards to Corporation Tax and VAT filings.

Irish Tax Agent fees

  • Tax Agent for Irish limited Company – €720
  • Apostilled (ROS) Tax Residency Certificate – €220

Additional fees are payable for specific services such as filing tax returns.

A Irish company must file a notice of its existence to the tax authorities within 3 months of incorporation and must file a Corporation Tax Return no later than 12 months after its year end. Should either of these dates be missed then penalties and interest become payable. As your agent, we will have access to online services on behalf of any of our clients and can therefore view and monitor information with regards to a company’s tax liability and what forms have been lodged (or need to be lodged).

Our Tax Agent Service

We advise the Revenue we are authorized as your tax agent. As the Tax Agent for your Irish company:

  • We provide a tax preparation service to assist in filing returns and making a claim.
  • Have access to your Revenue record
  • Submit claims on your behalf
  • Receive correspondence in relation to any claims submitted
  • Authorised to receive refunds on your behalf where you have completed Authorisation Form PAYE A2. As your agent we will deduct fees and pay the balance of the amount to you.

Tax Registration Number

A Tax Registration Number (TRN) is issued by Irish Revenue when you register for tax as a partnership or company.

Your Irish companies TRN is used when trading and filing your tax returns as a partnership or company.

Tax Advisor Identification Number (TAIN)

As a Tax Agent/advisor we have a TAIN – a Tax Agent Identification Number/Transaction Advisory Identification Number – which means in Ireland we can represent any Revenue customer.

For confidentiality reasons, the Revenue can only provide details of a taxpayer’s affairs to an authorised person who is on record as the taxpayer’s agent or advisor.

As your Tax Agent we can:

  • Talk to, and exchange information, with ROS
  • Send and receive letters, forms and returns about the company’s tax affairs
  • File corporation tax returns and lodge detailed accounts and tax computations on your behalf
  • File corrected corporations tax returns, and ensure that these are logged, if there were mistakes in a previous period
  • Receive copies of all letters/notices sent to you
  • Obtain a tax residency certificate for any international or customs business.
  • Monitor the balance owed by you or to you by ROS
  • Assist you with an application to register for VAT
  • ROS – authority to talk or to communicate with the tax authority on behalf of the tax payer
  • Tax planning – free advice on tax planning issues related to your company
  • Monitor – access to an online tax account with ROS, so the agent can monitor your balance and obligations; and warn the taxpayer of any deadlines due
  • Appeals – ability to speak directly with experts in the case of an appeal and appeal against the assessment
  • Tax Residency certificate – right to request special communications such as a Tax Residency certificate
  • Support – using our 20 years experience we guide you throughout every step of the process

Available Services

Once appointed as your company’s tax agent, we can assist with the following services:

  • Corporation Tax. We will assist and submit your company annual Corporation Tax return, organise payment/collection of the tax and obtain CTA09/ S18 exemption for the company, if some Corporation Tax is due in accordance with rules of other countries
  • VAT and import and export of goods. VAT Mini One Stop Shop for Agents – use this service to account for VAT due in other Member States on a single return on behalf of your EU and non-EU business clients who provide telecommunications, broadcasting and e-services to EU customers
  • Social Security and Advanced Income Tax
  • Employment Related Securities for Agents – for agents to view schemes and arrangements for their clients and notify and submit grants of options for Enterprise Management Incentives.
    • PAYE for Agents – for companies with Ireland-based employees or Irish resident directors
    • Self-Assessment for Agents – for individuals who are Irish resident or a foreign resident with Ireland property
    • VAT for Agents – for companies with a Ireland VAT account, who need to file VAT returns and returns such as an EC Sales List.
    • VAT EU Refunds for Agents – An overseas company can reclaim VAT spent on a visit to Ireland. A claim can be made by an agent, if it is supported by a letter of authority to allow us to act

Tax Agent 

Being appointed agent allows us to speak on behalf of the client to the authorities at ROS.

While we are agents we can lodge tax returns online as agents though the codes which we hold to be agents. We normally open up an account with ROS online to ensure that the client themselves are able to lodge returns online- should the client decide to rescind our appointment in the future.

Speaking directly to ROS is useful, because the authorities may question calculations, the taxability of ítems or accelerated tax relief on the purchase of capital items. Should we be appointed as tax agents immediately  the company is incorporated, it usually not necessary to speak to ROS if tax returns are lodged on time, in the correct digital format using authorised software and by an authorised agent.

ROS is not well organised, and the general help line numbers are not available at most times of the day. There are, however, specific “help lines” for professional agents.

Having an agent usually saves costs over the life of a company because:

  • The agent will identify the capital items and the possibility of claiming “initial allowances” “first year allowances” “special capital allowance pools”- so can accelerate tax relief
  • An experienced agent’s work is trusted, so a company is unlikely to be inspected if the returns are lodged by the agent
  • An agent will be able to deal with complex tax issues such as double tax relief- which involves knowledge of international tax law and treaties
  • An agent works with Irish tax practice all the time, so will be able to adapt to changes in reporting requirements and possibilities to reduce future taxes. This is particularly important as ROS are continuing to introduce “Making Tax Digital” guidelines, whereby books of account will be more accessible to ROSROS in the future

What we do for the client 

  • Initial registration- through getting an authorisation number, through the agent account that I have with ROS.
  • Open Gateway account for the client- this can be transferred to the client at any time in the future, but allows us to get quick authorisation for other taxes
  • To open a “Gateway” account, we need to have access to the UTR number. This will be sent if the registered office is stated to be in the Irish registered office that we organise
  • Organise the periods of account for Corporation Tax for the client. Often the “periods of account” are different to the accounting reporting period because the company may start or cease an activity during the reporting period. The first reporting period usually is of between 365 and 396 days and is made up of two accounting periods.
  • Notifying the client of any requests from ROS – for example to produce some accounting records
  • Notifying the client of any documents informing the client of change of practice or warning the client about new procedures

VAT Registration

In the Ireland you must register your company for VAT if your VAT taxable turnover is more than £83,000 in a 12 month period. In order to obtain a VAT Number from ROS you have to complete an online form about your activities, your office and sales etc.

You also need a Ireland Government secure ID to login and start the process:

In some countries the actual company number serves as the VAT/IVA number, but not in Ireland.

You can appoint us as your Ireland Tax Agent to deal with ROS on your behalf and start the VAT registration process

Registering for VAT

The VAT agent can:

  • Talk to ROS about the tax account and general details: places of business, bank account details for regular payments of refunds of VAT and details about places of business
  • Submit VAT returns and change client’s registration details
  • Apply for EU refunds
  • Apply for a EORI number for import and export

There are several very common situations which we can assist with:

  • Where a company needs to register and to collect VAT in Ireland.
  • Where a company wants to register for VAT in Ireland, because they have an Ireland company for European business
  • Where a company spends money regularly in Ireland, and need a VAT number to get VAT reimbursed

EORI Number.

Your company will need an EORI number to import and export goods from and to the European Union.

Registering for Ireland VAT – Overseas Clients

The simplicity and cost of Irish companies make them very attractive, however, getting a VAT number for general European business is more difficult.

Having a Tax Agent is usually a persuasive factor in allowing a company to obtain VAT registration. The ROS require evidence of trading or, that there is the intention to do business in the future and the factors that can be persuasive in your Irish company obtaining a VAT number:

  • Suppliers or Customers in Ireland
  • Having an Irish bank account
  • Rental of premises
  • Storage or manufacture of goods in Ireland
  • Employment of Irish staff
  • Appointment of an Irish Tax Agent

Ireland Business Establishment

If you do not have an Ireland business establishment and are not resident here or in the case of a company incorporated here, you are a non-established taxable person but, you must still register for VAT in Ireland if you have taxable supplies in Ireland.

Premises are considered to be a business establishment from which trading activities directly related to the business are carried out or the address of an accountant or agent.

Supply of Goods in Ireland

You may be making a supply of goods in Ireland if the goods have physically located here, you may be eligible for; and may be required to have a Irish VAT number, if goods are sold to consumers in Ireland, even if there is no management or control of your company in Ireland.

Voluntary VAT Registration

You may be entitled to register for VAT in Ireland voluntarily and claim back any input tax you have paid here if you have no Ireland business establishment, but make taxable supplies here.

VAT – Visits by Officers

The VAT office may need to inspect your VAT records, this is to ensure that you have accounted for the correct amount of tax at the right time.

If you have a business establishment in Ireland, they normally visit you there. They will expect your books and trading records to be made available at this address. If you have appointed a tax agent, they will normally visit them.

ROS Certificate of Tax Residency

We can request a Certificate of Tax Residency.  The content and form of this certificate depends on:

  • Type of tax or withholding tax that can be reduced in the other country
  • The wording of the Double Tax Treaty with that country
  • The relationship that your country has with Ireland: for example, resident directors, employees, where the customers and clients are

This document is used by an Ireland registered business to confirm it is located in Ireland for tax purposes. The certificate of residence is used when two countries have a double taxation treaty.

The format of the certificate can vary slightly but it typically confirms-

  • The company name
  • The registered address of the company
  • That the company is registered in Ireland in accordance with a specified tax treaty or convention

Certificate of Ireland Residency

We can provide a certified and signed ROS Certificate of Ireland Residency which is Apostilled at the Consular Section, Department of Foreign Affairs.

The certificate contains your company unique taxpayer reference, company name and registered office address.